Down Under Visa Logo

You want a tourist visa for your Filipina girl to Australia? A 1 year tourist visa? If you look on the Department of Immigration website, you will see that tourist visas are “available for 3, 6 or 12 months”.

Looks easy! You love each other, right? 12 months sounds like the go. “I’ll have a 12 month tourist visa, please!”, and wrap it up too!


And we at Down Under Visa cannot for a second blame anybody for thinking otherwise! It looks simple. Three options. Why not get the bigger and brighter one?

The problem is that there are so many factors that go into a decision whether the Department will grant a visa or refuse it. I suppose the first shocker is considering that they might not grant it in the first place, especially when it looks like you can just select what you want. The fact is, they will NOT grant a 1 year tourist visa! Will not happen!

Visas are GRANTS and not “rights”!

No one is entitled to a visa. The fact that you are an Aussie Citizen (or Permanent Resident) does not give you an inherent right to bring your girlfriend, fiancée or even wife into Australia. She may make an application, and the officers or delegates of the Department will make a decision on whether she meets the criteria laid out in the Migration Regulations, an Act of the Commonwealth Parliament.

The “Regs” give them a legal duty to only grant a visa is the applicant clearly meets those criteria, and to refuse if they’re not convinced that they do.

“Genuinely intends to stay temporarily in Australia for the purpose for which the visa is granted”

An applicant for an Australian tourist visa may visit Australia for the purposes of visiting friends/family, patting koalas, admiring the Harbour Bridge, and then going back again.

If you plan to use the visa to live together, then they will refuse it in a heartbeat. Why? Because you’re planning on using it as a partner visa. That’s not “genuinely intending” to stay for the “purpose for which the visa was granted”. That’s playing the system, and they don’t like that. It’s their job to make sure you don’t do that.

I’ve had people come to us with refusals after they’ve actually said in their application that they are applying for a 12 month tourist visa because a partner visa takes too long to process! Does a partner visa take too long to process? Probably! However that doesn’t come into it. If you want to live together, you apply for a partner visa. If you want a short holiday, you apply for a tourist visa!


Why do they offer tourist visas of 12 months length?

Because they offer these visas to all countries and for all situations! If somebody is wealthy enough to take a 1 year holiday and intends to visit friends and pat koalas, then they’ll get probably a 12 month tourist visa.

However, no one believes that your Filipina girlfriend is going to take a 12 month holiday to visit you and pat koalas and then go home again. It’s very obvious that you have an ulterior motive. And they also need to believe she has strong motives to return at the end of the stay. Visitors from countries like the Philippines have less incentive to return than does somebody from a more developed nation with assets and good prospects back at home. The longer your Filipina lady stays (especially when living in a loving relationship with you), the less she is going to want to return. When you think of it, it’s fairly obvious, isn’t it?

So, please try to understand why we don’t want to apply for a 12 month tourist visa for your Filipina lady! We’re not lazy or mean, nor are we incompetent. We want to see you get together, and we don’t want to see you wasting your time or money. We have a great success rate for couples in the Philippines.

if you’d like our help, please visit our website and complete our free visa assessment form.

Filipina lady on a tourist visa. Problems at the airport?
How Down Under Visa works      


  1. Manny Jacobs

    My separated husband has a much younger Filipino mistress and he has bought her to Australia and is indeed living with her. I have been told on a 3 month tourist visa with every intention of extending after 3 months, which they have done. Is this right, I thought I read that you can’t live together on a tourist visa ?

    • downundervisa

      Hello Manny

      You can live together, as long as you intend to leave at the end of the stay. And yes, you can apply for another visa whilst still in the country.

  2. Dayna Miranda

    Sir, I just wanna ask about “multiple entry” oct. 2014-oct 2015 in tourist visa granted..does it mean 3 months stay only within a year..or you can stay 3 months go home and stay 3 months again back an forth until a year is finished? Thank you..:)

    • downundervisa

      It depends on what the visa grant letter says.

      Mostly they will allow you to stay up to 30 days, and after that you need to leave the country. But you can return again and stay another 30 days. You can keep arriving and staying 30 days up and until the last date to arrive.

  3. suzie

    sir good morning i am in relationship with an australian citizen man we are in loving relationship and i need to go home before i consume my 90days stay in australia and my visa is only single entrywhich is only for 3months to stay in australia and whilst i am in australia can i apply for another tourist visa for multiple entry which is 12 months to to be with my boyfriend

    • Jeff Harvie

      You can try, but I don’t believe you would get 12 months. You would probably get another 3 months. If you want to stay together that length of time, why not look at a partner visa? Tourist visas are designed for visiting only.

  4. ronald buensa;ido

    hi sir ,i have a son in australia and he wants me to go the for his birthday on july 26,do i have possibilities to stay atleast 1 year in australia?and hes going to move out to her mom house ,and i want to take care him cause he dont how to cook and to washed his clothes her mom have already a husband she cant take care of his son anymore because the responsibilities to his husband,thats why i want to take care of him atlease 1 year and get back in the philippines.

    • Jeff Harvie

      Very unlikely for that reason. He’s an adult, I assume?

  5. Alma de leon

    My husband is filipino worker in queensland.
    He is not supporting our children here in phil.
    He wants to get his mistress there and leave all the obligations with me. What should I do.
    Thank you

    • Jeff Harvie

      Sorry, but neither you nor I can influence personal decisions made by your husband in Australia. I sympathise with you, but I can’t help.

  6. Morena Nadua

    Hi Jeff,

    Me and my partner had emailed you last year regarding our visa, this year we would like to apply for a tourist visa for me. Could you help us on this?


    • Jeff Harvie

      Happy to help, Yeng. I’ll email you.

  7. Alan Barrie

    I. My Filipino fiencee has just had her prespective marriage visa refused. We are sad and she is now back in Phils. Can we mow apply again and if so is there a period we should wait to do so. We did not appeal as I misread the timeframe to do so. This time we will use your services. Thank you

    • Jeff Harvie

      You can re-apply anytime at all, Alan. Please email me with the decision record attached so I can see if there are any restrictions at this point.

  8. Niks

    Hi jeff. I’m still on a temporary visa. but i want my boyfriend to apply for a tourist visa for next yr. would that be ok?

    • Jeff Harvie

      I can’t comment here, and I can’t comment without information, Niks. Suggest you use the free visa assessment form on the website.

  9. Marilyn

    Hello sir i just want to ask coz they refuse my application for a tourist visa and my australian bf wants me to apply again?pls i need your help and suggestion..thanksss

  10. Chris

    Hey hi Jeff, I am about to apply a partner visa for my wife- I will be getting married to her in November’17 . I am a naturalized Australian citizen but my wife is not.

    Once I apply partner visa for her ,is it possible to bring her to Aus on a visitor visa while we are waiting for The partner visa decision ?

    • Jeff Harvie

      It’s possible to apply for a visitor visa, yes Chris.

  11. Sandy

    hi Mr.Jeff Harvie
    i have Australian bf and he wants me to visit him..can he sponsor me going there?

    • Jeff Harvie

      I would imagine so, Sandy. Please complete one of our visa assessment forms.

  12. Jenlie

    Hi sir Jeff
    My australian fiance is not divorce yet and we are planning to get partners visa after my tourist visa expire on march 2019. I came here Nov 2017 and stay here for maximum of 3 months and leave Australia for couple of days and come back again.Can we apply for de facto visa?

    • Jeff Harvie

      Possibly, Jenlie. I would need to assess your case to see if you met the criteria, as it takes more than just living-together to be in a de facto relationship. I suggest you spend five minutes doing one of our free online visa assessment forms on our website. Top right, and you will see it.

  13. robert john bridgman

    Hello Jeff,
    my partner and I were living together for the last 3 years in Cebu, I came home to visit family and due to Covid I am still here in Australia, what do I need to have my Partner/Fiancee to visit here for 6 months , she has met several members of my Family and would like her to see some of my Home before we settle down in Bohol .
    cheers Rob

    • Jeff Harvie

      She needs to be your spouse (by marriage or by de facto relationship) in order to get an exemption to the current travel ban, Robert. Without that she can’t enter Australia until the travel bans are lifted.


Questions: Please search our BLOG menu or Visa Knowledge Base

Submit a Comment

NOTE: Please restrict your comments to what's written on this page.

PLEASE NOTE: You may comment on posts, and you may ask general questions about the visa topic. However requests for “how-to?” information on how to lodge visas or how to deal with specific problems will not be answered. Please engage the services of a professional Registered Migration Agent for actual assistance or advice. Thank you.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Questions about visa types we don’t handle, or about countries we don’t apply for visas from, will not be answered, Philippines to Australia visas for couples and families only.

Do you have suggestions for topics you would like to read an article about? Click HERE and we will see what we can do!



How does it work?

How It Works Image

Search Our Site

Happy Couples

Happy Couples Image


Google Reviews

See All Reviews

Facebook Reviews

Subscribe to our BLOG


Want the latest in Australian Visa information?

SUBSCRIBE to the Down Under Visa BLOG Page

Never miss a single important update!

BONUS EBOOK! “Philippines to Australia – Australian Visas, Frayed Emotions and a Journey You Will Never Forget” by Jeff Harvie RMA

Just want to buy the book? Purchase directly from Amazon by clicking HERE

We never share or sell your data

Migration Law

Registered Migration Agent Details Image

Should you use a Registered Migration Agent or not?



Migration Alliance Image

Latest Posts

Useful Links

Filipina Wives Image Down Under Visa - Visa Q & A Image Online Filipino Weddings Image
Online Weddings for Australian Filipina couples