Down Under Visa Logo

To apply for an Australian Partner Visa based on a de facto relationship (aka “live in” relationship), you must of course BE in a de facto relationship. It is NOT a visa that allows you to form a de facto relationship. You need to be in one already.


What about Registered Relationships? Can you get one of those instead?

Depending on what state you reside in, yes you can generally do that.

Registered Relationships exist in the following states of Australia: Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.

So if you’re from SA, WA or NT, at present you miss out.

Is this Registered Relationship Certificate all we need?

Is the registered relationship certificate all you need to apply for an Australian partner visa based on a de facto relationship (aka a de facto visa)? No, definitely not!

You still need to show that you are in a genuine, committed and shared-life to the exclusion of all others. You need to live together, or not apart on a permanent basis. The difference that being in a registered relationship makes is that you can shorten the usual 12-month relationship length to 6 months. That’s basically it! Yes, it’s a good bit of evidence, but it’s not a replacement for the proof and the relationship evidence that you would ordinarily have to show.

So please ask Down Under Visa to assess your case via the free online visa assessment form on the Down Under Visa website to see if your relationship IS in fact a committed de facto relationship, or if you are just boyfriend and girlfriend.

What are the requirements to be in a Registered Relationship?

They differ between states. There is no national standard. They all require that at least one of you resides in the particular state, and some require that you both reside in the state. Some are OK with your partner residing overseas.

They will ALL require that both of you are in an exclusive relationship together. That means that whilst it’s not a marriage, it IS a recognition of commitment. It also means that if one of you is still married to someone else, even if you’ve been separated and estranged for a very long time, you cannot enter into a Registered Relationship until you are divorced or annulled. So be aware of that!

You need to contact the state Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages to organise this. You just need to Google this, and you’ll find the information and forms you need on the individual websites.

Can same-sex couples (gay couples) enter into a Registered Relationship?

As long as you comply with any other rule that your state has, yes you certainly can. These relationships are for any gender mixes.

Skype, Yahoo, Viber and WhatsApp records
PerryGamsby's first article going up today

Questions: Please search our BLOG menu or Visa Knowledge Base

Submit a Comment

NOTE: Please restrict your comments to what's written on this page.

PLEASE NOTE: You may comment on posts, and you may ask general questions about the visa topic. However requests for “how-to?” information on how to lodge visas or how to deal with specific problems will not be answered. Please engage the services of a professional Registered Migration Agent for actual assistance or advice. Thank you.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Questions about visa types we don’t handle, or about countries we don’t apply for visas from, will not be answered, Philippines to Australia visas for couples and families only.

Do you have suggestions for topics you would like to read an article about? Click HERE and we will see what we can do!



How does it work?

How It Works Image

Search Our Site

Happy Couples

Happy Couples Image


Google Reviews

See All Reviews

Facebook Reviews

Subscribe to our BLOG


Want the latest in Australian Visa information?

SUBSCRIBE to the Down Under Visa BLOG Page

Never miss a single important update!

BONUS EBOOK! “Philippines to Australia – Australian Visas, Frayed Emotions and a Journey You Will Never Forget” by Jeff Harvie RMA

Just want to buy the book? Purchase directly from Amazon by clicking HERE

We never share or sell your data

Migration Law

Registered Migration Agent Details Image

Should you use a Registered Migration Agent or not?



Migration Alliance Image

Latest Posts

Useful Links

Filipina Wives Image Down Under Visa - Visa Q & A Image Online Filipino Weddings Image
Online Weddings for Australian Filipina couples