Down Under Visa Logo

We at Down Under Visa get questions and requests for bridging visas all the time, and most of the time the questions show a high level of confusion. All understandable, as Australian Migration Law is complicated. The Migration Act and the Migration Regulations are each like A-K Sydney Phonebooks. I can still remember lugging printed copies back after my very first class. Australian visa applications are complicated. It’s as simple as that!

bridging visa

Bridging Visas – What are they, and can I get one?

First rule! Bridging visas are for ONSHORE visa applications only!

If your visa application was lodged in Manila, you are not eligible for a bridging visa. Don’t ask for one. Don’t assume you can get one. It’s not possible.

Now that we have that out of the way……

Bridging visas have one purpose and one purpose only. They are there to give the bridging-visa-holder a lawful immigration status in Australia. If you are not an Aussie Citizen and are in Australia without a visa, you are known as an UNLAWFUL NON-CITIZEN. This is the correct term these days. The old term was “illegal alien”, but the Government likes renaming things. And if you are in Australia unlawfully, you can be tossed into detention, and can be removed (ie. deported) from Australia. Not the way you want things to happen, nor is it the way the Department of Immigration wants things either. Therefore they have a number of Bridging Visas for this purpose.

We won’t go over all of them. We’ll just cover the four that you are most likely to come across.

Bridging Visa A (BVA)

A Bridging Visa A (or BVA) is the one that most of you will end up with if you are eligible.

If you are lawful in Australia, ie. you have a visa and it hasn’t been revoked and hasn’t expired, and you lodge a VALID application for another visa IN AUSTRALIA, you will automatically get one of these when:

  • The first visa expires, and
  • The second visa hasn’t been granted yet

Typical scenario? You are on a tourist visa (with NO RESTRICTIONS ON APPLYING FOR ANOTHER VISA) and you apply for another visa, eg another tourist visa or a partner visa. You don’t need to apply for a BVA. It will be granted automatically when the first visa runs out. But the second visa application must be VALID (which means certainly conditions have been met, which your trusty Registered Migration Agent can ensure happens).

It generally gives you the same rights that you had on the previous visa, ie. if it was a former working visa, you can still work. However if the previous visa was a tourist visa, then you generally can’t. There can be exceptions, ie. it is fairly standard that you will get work rights if you apply for a partner visa.

But, you can’t leave the country and expect to come back! We’ve seen clients get caught by this. Leave the country on a Bridging Visa A, and you’re in strife!

Bridging Visa B (BVB)

You apply for this one if you want to travel and you already have a Bridging Visa. Fairly straight forward, but remember to apply in plenty of time and have your travel itinerary and booking details with you. Note that we don’t apply for these, but can give you guidance. Easier to apply in Australia.

Bridging Visa C (BVC)

This is similar to the Bridging Visa A, except it means you had let your previous visa expire before you applied for the next visa. Work rights are not automatic. Less ideal, but at least you’re lawfully in the country.

Bridging Visa E (BVE)

This one is when you are unlawful and report to Immigration. It will keep you lawfully in the country generally while you sort out your flight out of the country. If you are in this situation, let us know and we’ll put you onto a specialist in Australia.

Misunderstandings about Bridging Visas

A bridging visa means a bridge to Australia. Definitely not! It’s for onshore applications, and it’s not a “bridge to Australia”. It’s a bridge between two visas, and nothing more than that.

You can apply for a bridging visa to keep your partner in Australia. Yes, but only if you lodge a valid application for a partner visa (where you will get it automatically)! Definitely not a stand-alone visa! And definitely not a substitute for a partner visa application!

You can apply for a bridging visa on a Prospective Marriage Visa so she can stay. Definitely not! A prospective marriage visa (aka fiancée visa) is an offshore visa, and therefore not eligible.

You can “bridge your visa” to turn it into another type of visa. No, doesn’t work like that. You need to apply for a new visa application if you are eligible.

So don’t give them too much thought, and definitely don’t think they are some great option that we didn’t mention to you. Lodge a valid visa in Australia, and in most cases you’ll get one. Applied offshore? Doesn’t apply to you.

A Try-Before-You-Buy Visa to Australia – Does it exist?
Taking on a woman with kids – Advice for Australian Filipina couples


  1. soriyanie

    My husband and I want to apply bringing visa class A. Can u help us how to Apply it or can we meet for this? Thanks

      • Taeyang Rezai

        Hi, my wife is on bridging and I come from Norway. Can I stay with her if she hold a birdging visa or not?

        • Jeff Harvie

          You can’t stay with her because she has a bridging visa, no

  2. Jaime

    My partner has applied for his partner visa and been granted a BVA with working rights etc attached. We are flying home at Christmas for my dad’s wedding and returning 3 weeks later. We understand that we need to apply for the BVB we are just concerned that it won’t have the same rights attached to it as the BVA, i.e full working rights? Can you please clarify this situation for us please?

    • Jeff Harvie

      It will, yes

  3. Lu Liu

    I applied for AAT review for partner visa on TR, received AAT confirmation but didn’t get an email stating I’m now on BVA, now I have left Australia (stupidly) and realized I messed up big time. Is there a possibility for me to return on a tourist visa and re-activate my BVA? Or should I seek further advice? Urgent please help…!!! Thank you so much!!

    • Jeff Harvie

      Sorry, but if you had a BVA and left then you’ve blown it. BVA’s are conditional on you staying in the country. You need to start again from scratch with a fresh visa application.

  4. rosie

    if I enter on a tourist visa and then apply for a partner visa will I be able to work on my bridging visa? I was under the impression that the bridging visa gives you the same rights as the previous visa. but it takes so long to approve the partner visa there is no way that I can afford to not work for 12 months.


    • Jeff Harvie

      Normally that is the case, yes Rosie. However when you lodge a valid partner visa in time, they will normally issue a BVA with work rights.

  5. soumya soman

    This is me Soumya Soman currently on student visa which will expire on 26/09/2018.I have already applied for my PR visa one week back. Recently I came to know that if my PR Application is lodged I can get a bridging visa to stay back in Australia. Iam planning to apply for a tourist visa meanwhile as my present visa expires next month in order to stay back till I am able to lodge my PR visa Application. Is it possible to convert tourist visa to bridging visa?
    kindly do reply and will be waiting for your proper support and guidance.
    Thank You

    • Jeff Harvie

      I suspect your case is complicated, because I really don’t follow what you’re doing. But please note we don’t manage student visas, and we only manage visa applications from Philippines to Australia. Suggest you find a Registered Migration Agent more appropriate to your needs.

  6. zin


    I have visa transit 771 to australia less than 72 hrs

    I want to stay longer , The best solution for me please ?

    • Jeff Harvie

      Sorry, I have no idea

  7. Jass

    I am on a 491 bridging visa and waiting for my visa grant. Can I get married according to the Indian culture but not register the marriage until my visa is granted? I am so confused. It has been 15 months already Finance Manager occupation. Can you please suggest what is the best option and how long to visa grant.


Questions: Please search our BLOG menu or Visa Knowledge Base

Submit a Comment

NOTE: Please restrict your comments to what's written on this page.

PLEASE NOTE: You may comment on posts, and you may ask general questions about the visa topic. However requests for “how-to?” information on how to lodge visas or how to deal with specific problems will not be answered. Please engage the services of a professional Registered Migration Agent for actual assistance or advice. Thank you.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Questions about visa types we don’t handle, or about countries we don’t apply for visas from, will not be answered, Philippines to Australia visas for couples and families only.

Do you have suggestions for topics you would like to read an article about? Click HERE and we will see what we can do!



How does it work?

How It Works Image

Search Our Site

Happy Couples

Happy Couples Image


Google Reviews

See All Reviews

Facebook Reviews

Subscribe to our BLOG


Want the latest in Australian Visa information?

SUBSCRIBE to the Down Under Visa BLOG Page

Never miss a single important update!

BONUS EBOOK! “Philippines to Australia – Australian Visas, Frayed Emotions and a Journey You Will Never Forget” by Jeff Harvie RMA

Just want to buy the book? Purchase directly from Amazon by clicking HERE

We never share or sell your data

Migration Law

Registered Migration Agent Details Image

Should you use a Registered Migration Agent or not?



Migration Alliance Image

Latest Posts

Useful Links

Filipina Wives Image Down Under Visa - Visa Q & A Image Online Filipino Weddings Image
Online Weddings for Australian Filipina couples